Seasoning lentils with masala and curries is a traditional way to use these roasted and hand ground spice blends. Here are two essential recipes for an simple sumptuous and healthy meal.
Classic Dahl (5-6 servings) 25min
Enjoy dahl served over rice or steamed greens
2 c. of red lentils or split yellow mung dahl (found in Indian markets and some co-ops)
6 c. of water
4 tbl of orgainic virgin coconut oil/organic unsalted butter
2 tbl of foundational fall masala or 4’c seasonal masala
¼ tsp real salt to taste
for a curried dahl add 2 tsp sumptuous seasonal or all seasons curry
and 1 tsp grated ginger
5 cups of water – 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1) Rinse lentils in separate bowl to clean them.
2) Bring water and coconut milk to simmer. Add lentils.
3) Cook 15-20 min. Skim off froth from top of pot.
3)Place oil/butter in small pan heat, add spices to warm them 2-3min.
4) Add warmed spices to lentils.
8 c. of water
1 c. of split yellow mung or red lentils
1 c. white or brown basmati rice
½ tsp real salt
2 Tbl. 4 C’s seasonal masala or fall foundational masala
2-3 Tbl of oil half organic virgin coconut oil / half organic unsalted butter blend
Or 2 TBl of ghee
1)Rinse and clean lentils in separate bowl.
2) Rinse and clean rice in separate bowl
3) place lentils in pot w water on medium heat to gently bring to a simmer – then lower heat.
4) Cook beans for 10-15 min, skim froth off the top.
5) Add rice to pot, add salt, cook 15 min
6)melt oil/butter in small pan, add masala to warm 2-3min.
7) Add masala to kichadi mixture
8) Cover and cook on low for approx.
5- 10 more min.
Let sit for 10 min before serving.
-if using our masala, garnish with chopped cilantro, lemon and/or goat yogurt, toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds for additional protein source before serving